Director: Dr Lynn Furber
I have over 25 years’ experience as a nurse specialising in cancer care. I managed a clinical trials unit and a chemotherapy unit and led by example. My clinical practice informed my PhD. This focused on how we can improve communication and the exchange of information in medical consultations and how we can improve the continued professional development of doctors in particular. I am driven throughout all of my work to enhance the experiences of our patients and their families, knowing that front-line staff who care for them and are able to demonstrate understanding, caring, consideration and empathy.
I have also worked for a number of years in academia and over the past five years, was employed as a Senior Lecturer and Associate Professor. I gained expertise in designing and delivering courses for healthcare professionals and delivering advanced communication skills training (which tied in beautifully with my research). I created several bespoke courses for Spire Healthcare and Macmillan during this time. It is so important to develop and support others in their learning and I fully appreciate the importance of experiential learning, reflective practice and providing positive and constructive feedback to help others develop their personal growth and continued professional development. I have supervised students and mentored colleagues along the way. My professional and academic background enables me to understand the need for operational change and has equipped me with a long list of creative, managerial and leadership skills.
I have a number of qualifications including:
- PGCert (Distinction) – 2016, De Montfort University, Leicester, United Kingdom
- PhD – 2010, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom
- BSC (HONS) Clinical Nursing Studies with a speciality in cancer nursing – 2000, University of Central England, United Kingdom
- Diploma in Higher Education, 1994, University of Wolverhampton, United Kindgdom
- Registered nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Council, 1994, Staffordshire and Shropshire College of Nursing and Midwifery
Professional Groups and positions
I am a member of the following groups:
- I sit on the teaching committee of the International Association of Communication in Healthcare
- I am a fellow of the International Institute for Practice Transformation
- I am a member of PIF Online
- I hold a Senior Research Fellow position at De Montfort University
- I also currently sit on an NHS England Clinical Advisory Group as a patient and public voice member
‘”I have worked with Lynn for over 5 years and I have always found her to be insightful, hardworking, and reliable. We continue to work with her and Health Care Communication Matters because she is also an imaginative, can do person with drive and focus, but also someone who can communicate effectively and compassionately at all levels. An experienced researcher, teacher and health care practitioner, I consider Lynn a safe pair of hands for any project.”
Jayne Brown, Professor of Nursing,
De Montfort University‘
When you are faced with the possibility of a life threatening illness you soon realise what is important in life; and for me it is the simple things in life. My soul becomes energised when I am outdoors and immersed in nature.
What am I like and why should you invest in me, I hear you ask. It’s always hard to sell yourself but I recently completed the Strengths Finder test and my 5 key strengths were:
I remember thinking ‘phew’ when I received my results. This all ties in with me being a nurse, researcher and educator. I want to develop the best in people; I am perceptive, I notice and I listen; when given a job I just get on with it without any hassle and will come to you with a finished task; I want to continue to learn and develop others and myself and I will take responsibility for anything I put my mind to. I thrive on new adventures and challenges. Hence taking the plunge and setting up a new company.
I have worked as part of a team for over 30 years and fully appreciate the benefits of working with others but also appreciate some time to work alone.
Over the years I have developed a strong National and International Network. I am supported in my work, by a team of experienced colleagues who have a range of expertise in training and education, health and social care and organisational development. They have all held, or still hold senior positions in their respective organisations and have the capacity to work alongside me.
I am all for collaborative working to ensure that we have the necessary skill mix to adapt to your individual requirements. We fully support the notion of working in partnership with others and this is reflected in the way we work with other organisations. I am still keen to develop my network to create opportunities so if you think you might be interested in working alongside me then please do get in touch
- International Association of Communication in Healthcare
- De Montfort University – providing advanced communication skills training, research and supporting the organisation of a conference for Spire Healthcare
- Patient Information Forum Online
- Kinetic Youth